Becoming a Food Allergy Mom
On November 27, 2018, we found out that my 11-month-old daughter was allergic to dairy. I suspected she might be after two strange incidents. The first incident involved vomiting violently after eating a new baby puree. When I checked the ingredients of the tub of baby food, I saw that it had pineapple and milk - two things she had never had before. I wondered if that could be a cause but I quickly dismissed the thought and returned to life as normal. A month or so later while eating out at a restaurant, my daughter got ahold of a butter packet on the table. She chewed on it, busted it open, and made a mess. I didn't think much of it - after all, my kids have done much worse before. But about 10 minuted later, I noticed that she had a swollen upper lip.
At first I thought she must have hit it when the packet exploded. Then my mom brain kicked in - what if this was the milk in the butter? Could she be having an allergic reaction? Again, I sort of dismissed my thought but her lip was only getting worse so we decided to be safe and head to urgent care.
The doctor said that it did, indeed, look like an allergic reaction. My head started spinning. There's no way she's allergic to milk, right? Not my kid. We made a follow up with our pediatrician who referred us to an allergist just in case. Two weeks before my daughter's first birthday (you know... the one where they are start drinking whole cow's milk...) we found out that she had a dairy allergy. What did this mean??? They ordered us an epipen, quickly taught us how to use it, gave us about 20 sheets of information about allergies, asked if we had any questions and sent us on our way. Did I have any questions? Um... yeah... about a thousand. I couldn't even wrap my head around this food allergy. No one else in my family or my husband's family had ever had a food allergy. I had no idea what it really meant. But boy, was I about to find out.
Within a couple months, our allergist had us try a few other foods - soy, egg, peanut. Soy didn't produce an allergy. Thank God! One down! When my husband tried peanut butter one day while I was at work, he thought we had made it through that one as well. She was acting fine. But the moment I walked in the front door after work, I saw a tiny spot on her skin.